Head-of-knee pose(Janu Sirsasana) is a deep, forward bend that calms the mind and relieves strain. Often practiced together with seated ahead fold (paschimottanasana), it’s also practiced closer to the quite of a sequence, when the body is warm, to put together the frame for even deeper ahead bends.
Its Sanskrit call comes from 3 words:
“Janu” — meaning “knee”
“Sirsa” — meaning “head”
“asana” —which means “pose”
Even though it’s also on occasion translated as “head-to-knee pose”. It’s vital to be aware that touching your head for your knee isn’t always the maximum crucial aspect of the pose.
Alternatively, retaining your torso lengthy during Janu Sirsasana will assist to convey a deep stretch to your hamstrings and again, without over-rounding the backbone, which can cause harm.
How to do Janu Sirsasana (Head-to-Knee Forward Bend) Step By Step Instruction:
Take a seat on the ground with your legs instantly in front of you. Use a blanket beneath your buttocks if necessary. inhale, bend your proper knee, and draw the heel back closer to your perineum.
Relaxation your proper foot sole gently towards your inner left thigh, and lay the outer proper leg at the ground, with the shin at a right perspective to the left leg (if your right knee doesn’t rest readily at the ground, support it with a folded blanket).
Press your right hand towards the internal proper groin, in which the thigh joins the pelvis and your left hand on the ground beside the hip. exhale and turn the torso barely to the left, lifting the torso as you push down on and ground the inner proper thigh.
You could simply stay right here the usage of a strap that will help you lengthen the backbone flippantly, grounding via the sitting bones.
or, whilst you are prepared you could drop the strap and reach out along with your right hand to take the internal left foot, thumb on the only. inhale and lift the front torso, pressing the pinnacle of the left thigh into the floor and lengthening actively through the left heel.
Use the pressure of the left hand on the floor to boom the twist to the left. Then reach your left hand to the outdoor of the foot. With the palms completely prolonged, extend the front torso from the pubis to the pinnacle of the sternum.
exhale and enlarge ahead from the groins, no longer the hips. be sure no longer to tug your self forcefully into the forward bend, hunching the lower back and shortening the front torso. as you descend, bend your elbows out to the sides and raise them far from the floor.
Lengthen ahead right into a relaxed stretch. The decrease belly has to contact the thighs first, the head-final. Live inside the pose anywhere from 1 to a few minutes. Come up with an inhalation and repeat the instructions with the legs reversed for the identical length of time.
General information about Janu Sirsasana (Head-to-Knee Forward Bend) :
|Name:||Janu Sirsasana (Head-to-Knee Forward Bend)|
|Description:||Janu Sirsasana(Head-to-Knee Forward Bend) can bring a deep stretch for your hamstrings and groins whilst practiced in accurate alignment.|
- Calms the brain and facilitates relieve moderate depression
- Stretches the backbone, shoulders, hamstrings, and groins
- Stimulates the liver and kidneys
- Improves digestion
- Facilitates relieve the symptoms of menopause
- Relieves anxiety, fatigue, headache, menstrual discomfort
- Healing for excessive blood pressure, insomnia, and sinusitis
- Strengthens the returned muscle tissue all through pregnancy (up to 2nd trimester), finished without coming forward, preserving your lower back spine concave and the front torso lengthy.
Contraindications and Cautions:
Keep away from practicing Janu Sirsasana(Head-to-Knee Forward Bend) if you are currently affected by allergies or diarrhea. College students with back or knee accidents need to best practice Janu Sirsasana(Head-to-Knee Forward Bend) with the steerage of a skilled and informed trainer.
Constantly paintings inside your very own range of limits and abilities. When you have any clinical worries, speak along with your medical doctor before working towards yoga.
Modifications and Props:
If you cannot with ease attain the prolonged-leg foot, use a strap. Loop it around the only of the foot and preserve it along with your arms fully extended.
Be sure no longer to drag your self ahead when the use of the strap; walk your fingers gently alongside the strap whilst you maintain your arms and the front of your torso lengthened.
Attempt those changes to find a version of the pose that works for you:
- If your hamstrings or low again are extraordinarily tight, location a rolled-up blanket or yoga mat below the knee of your prolonged leg.
- If you may not simply grasp the foot or ankle of your extended leg, use a yoga strap. Wrap the strap around the sole of your prolonged-leg foot and keep it with each arm.
- If it’s easy to clasp your arms around the only of your prolonged-leg foot, you could deepen the pose via placing a block at the sole of that foot and holding that, as a substitute.
- For an extra venture, you could widen the attitude between your legs past 90 degrees.
- A few yoga patterns will range the hand function of the clasp, and the placement of the heel of the bent-leg foot. The word that there may be no right or incorrect variant — but if you’re in a category, follow the instruction your trainer offers. She or he is educating you that way for a cause!
Deepen the Pose:
You may increase the mission of Janu Sirsasana(Head-to-Knee Forward Bend) by means of widening the perspective among the legs past 90 tiers.
In preference to bringing the bent-knee heel into the perineum, snug it into the equal-facet groin. If you have much flexibility in your hips, back and legs then you must do it.
Tips for Beginner’s:
Hold the subsequent facts in mind whilst practicing this pose:
• Make certain the front of your torso stays lengthy all through Janu Sirsasana. it doesn’t count in case your head ever touches your knee dropping your head down and rounding your spine can over-pressure and injure your back, hamstrings, and groins.
Instead, make certain you’re folding from the hips, not on the waist. use a strap around your prolonged-leg foot if wanted. Then paintings on retaining you’re the front torso long as you fold ahead.
• Paintings closer to bringing your stomach on your thighs first, rather than bringing your head toward your knee.
• In no way force yourself into a forward bend. In case you’re using a strap, make sure no longer to tug too tough to attract yourself ahead. most effective come as always ahead as you can, even as preserving your spine long.
You won’t come as far forward as you’ve been used to however, it’s greater crucial to maintaining the integrity and alignment of your backbone than to the touch your knees together with your nostril.
A companion can help you know about the bent-leg thigh. you should have a companion stand in the back of you and press the inner edge of his/her foot against the internal groin of your bent leg.